Is your mind racing and you need to focus?
Feeling scattered and want to ground?
Looking for the perfect transition to take your students from recess to learning?
Tree Pose is your new best friend!
A balancing pose, tree creates focus, concentration, grounding and stability while calming the mind and nervous system.
Perfect for all ages, tree also builds strength, posture, flexibility and stimulates vestibular and proprioceptive systems. There are lots of variations, so start with the basics and then play!
Tree Rhyme Sing-Along:
Feet on the ground where our roots go down
Arms up high like branches in the sky
Balancing tree, put your foot below your knee
And FREEZE for 1... 2... 3
Give yourself a little clap, clap, clap, clap, clap!
Tips for Mastering Tree Pose:
- Focus eyes on one spot to help with balance
- Press palms together over your heart and feel your breath lift your chest into your thumbs
Fun Variations of Tree Pose:
- Sway your branches
- Side bend toward your lifted leg, resting your arm on your thigh, palm up
- Bring your foot up higher to your inner thigh
- Shift the gaze up between hands
- Close your eyes to test your balance
- Flow from tree to flying bird (Warrior 3) and back to land in tree
Partner Tree and Group Tree promote teamwork, SEL, and self-regulation.
So next time you are waiting in line at the grocery store, waiting for the subway, or need to channel children's high energy into focus, practice trees together. Breathe deep, have fun and time will fly!